Money Talk$!

Friday 15 December 2006

Bananas!

Bananas reducing in price!

It certainly was a nice surprise to see bananas down to $3.99 AU kilo this morning.

They had reached ridiculous prices of up to $15 kilo over about 4 months due to a shortage due to the hurricane. At that price I was purchasing them far & few between.Despite this hike in prices, it wasn't the farmers getting the $ benefit.

Bananas are a quick & easy snack, a good source of fiber, potassium and vitamin C. Also great to add to your morning cereal.

To help your bananas last longer I usually try to buy them a little greener.

Tips:
Wrap in newspaper & place in crisper.... will last much longer or wrap in alfoil & place in crisper.
(the skins will go brown but they will last up to 5 days plus)
To ripen - place in brown paper bag with an avocado.

If you're anything like me I hate a mushy banana (they don't usually last that long in my house to even go mushy) - don't throwout - make a banana cake.

Enjoy your bananas... I know we will!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home